CHURCH OF ST KATHARINE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1356779

Date first listed: 08-Aug-1966

Date of most recent amendment: 19-Aug-1966

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST KATHARINE, BLACK HORSE STREET, BL6 5EE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST KATHARINE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1356779 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Dec-2018 at 08:49:53.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST KATHARINE, BLACK HORSE STREET, BL6 5EE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Bolton (Metropolitan Authority)

Parish: Blackrod

National Grid Reference: SD 61318 11065

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SD 61 SW, 3/5

BLACKROD, BLACK HORSE STREET (north side), Church of St. Katharine

(formerly listed under Church Street)

08/08/66

II

Church. Lowest stage of tower early C16, 2nd stage has date stones, one to window sill inscribed: "MT 1638/NT", one to external steps dated 1647. 3rd stage C18, top has date 1837 to pinnacles. Nave, chancel and north aisle, 1909-11, by R. B. Preston. Stone rubble tower with ashlar dressings, the rest of rock-faced stone with ashlar dressings and slate roof. Tower has diagonal buttresses. 4-light late Perpendicular west window with 2 transoms with weathering above. 2-light straight-headed window to 2nd stage. 3rd stage has paired pointed bell openings with stone louvres. Top has 4-face clock and plain battlements and pinnacles. Rectangular stair turret and external steps to door to north. 4-bay nave has sill course and weathered buttresses and 3:2:3:3-light windows with Perpendicular tracery. North vestry of gabled bay and flanking lean-to bays. 3-bay chancel has 3-light east window and south windows of 2 and 3 lights. 5-bay gabled aisle has gabled porch with traceried apex to gable and entrance of one order; windows of alternate 2 and 3 lights. 3-light east and west windows. Next to porch is font; square base dated 1775, baluster and bell-shaped bowl. Interior: 5-bay arcade on octagonal piers. Segmental pointed arch to tower with window over of 2 round-headed lights. Walls of tower panelled with old pew doors with name plates. 3 charity boards. Chancel has altar and reredos with painted low relief panels. Aisle has early C19 boards with commandments, creed and Lord's Prayer, arches and crocketed finials.

Listing NGR: SD6131811065

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 210486

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing