CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1356796

Date first listed: 31-May-1966

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1356796 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2018 at 15:21:02.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Bolton (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SD 74396 05844

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

KEARSLEY CHURCH STREET SD 70 NW (east end) Farnworth

9/34 Church of St. John the 31/5/66 Evangelist

G.V. II

Church. 1826, chancel 1871. Stone with slate roof. Nave, west tower and chancel, south vestry and north organ loft. 5- bay nave has sill course, and 2-light windows, most with segmental transoms, between weathered buttresses; top cornice and parapet. Tower has octagonal turrets and string courses. Pointed entrance with timber fanlight; 2-light window louvred bell-openings. Cornice and embattled parapet; turrets project above parapet, originally capped with pinnacles. Flanking porches have 2-light straight-headed windows with transoms, canted angles and north and south entrances. 3-bay chancel has 5-light east window and high 2-light north and south windows. Vestry has 2-light windows flanking entrance with shouldered lintel. Organ loft similar to vestry. Interior: Nave has 3 galleries on octagonal columns; pointed arcading to fronts. Flat ceiling has ribs and bosses. Octagonal font has moulded shaft and panelled sides. Arms of George I to west gallery. Chancel has king and queen post roof; 2-bay arcades with quatrefoil columns to organ loft and vestry. Stalls have elaborate timber fronts. Pulpit, 1907, timber on stone quatrefoil column. Parclose screen to vestry, which projects into nave. Panelled east wall with cresting. Good C19 stained glass to east and south.

Listing NGR: SD7439605844

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 210515

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing