10, GREAT UNDERBANK

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1356829
Date first listed:
14-May-1952
Statutory Address:
10, GREAT UNDERBANK

Map

Ordnance survey map of 10, GREAT UNDERBANK
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1356829.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Nov-2019 at 15:31:50.

Location

Statutory Address:
10, GREAT UNDERBANK

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Stockport (Metropolitan Authority)
Parish:
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
SJ8958390558

Details

1. 5086 SJ 8990 NE 1/4 14.5.52

GREAT UNDERBANK (West Side) No 10 II* GV

2. Formerly Underbank Hall, the town house of the Ardernes of Harden, and occupied by them until 1823. At time of survey in use as bank premises. A C16 manor house in excellent condition. Timber frame and plaster. 2 storeys and attics, the upper storey slightly coved and having moulded wood bressummer along the 1st floor. 4 moulded wood transom and mullion windows of 8 lights on console brackets. The lower storey has almost continuous fenestration in the same manner. 2-storeyed porch wing, square-headed, with moulded wood cornices 3 coved gable heads, each with a 3-light and top light; bargeboards with lozenge enrichment and finials. Interior has panelling to C16 staircase and several rooms and a carved mantelpiece with family arms. Curtilage includes modern railing and end piers with pineapple finial.

Nos 2 to 18 (even) form a group of which Nos 2 to 8 are of local interest.

Listing NGR: SJ 8958390558

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
210806
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 12 Aug 2000
Reference: IOE01/00932/30
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Derek Trillo. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].