Heaton Chapel and Heaton Moor War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1356831
Date first listed:
10-Mar-1975
Statutory Address:
Heaton Chapel and Heaton Moor War Memorial, Heaton Moor Road

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1356831.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Oct-2021 at 14:48:03.

Location

Statutory Address:
Heaton Chapel and Heaton Moor War Memorial, Heaton Moor Road

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Stockport (Metropolitan Authority)
Parish:
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
SJ 87776 91724

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Enhancement on 13/01/2021 to update the name, amend the description, and the addition of references to Selected sources.

SJ 8791 9/93

HEATON MOOR ROAD (north west side) Heaton Chapel and Heaton Moor War Memorial

(Formerly listed as War memorial to front of Church of St Paul)

GV II War Memorial, 1921, by JH Sellers (designer) and John Cassidy RBS (sculptor). Portland stone, sandstone and bronze. Semi-circular ashlar Portland stone wall behind square Portland stone pedestal on projecting raised apron of sandstone flags. Pedestal surmounted by bronze statue of a soldier in battledress in relaxed stance. Wall terminated by piers with plinths, with bronze wreaths of laurel leaves garlanding an oak branch. Pedestal has mouldings and raised front panel with incised inscription in good serifed lettering reading ‘IN MEMORY OF/ THE MEN OF/ HEATON CHAPEL/ AND/ HEATON MOOR/ WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES/ IN/ THE GREAT WAR/ 1914-1919’. Below this is a bronze plaque headed 1939-1945, with 76 names below, listed alphabetically without rank, in relief lettering. The left hand face has a plaque with lettering in relief, headed 1914-1918 and with 59 names listed alphabetically without rank. The rear is inscribed ‘THEIR/ NAME/ LIVETH/ FOR/EVERMORE/’, below which is a bronze plaque with lettering in relief reading ‘ALSO/’ followed by 7 names, including one woman. The right hand face has a bronze plaque listing 61 names of First World War dead, with a trench-warfare scene in low relief below. The memorial was unveiled on 30 Jan 1921 and accepted on behalf of the Borough by the Mayor, Charles Royal. The cost for the original statue design which included and angel and a soldier was estimated at between £1,800 and £2,000. The left hand panel is a replacement of the stolen original, which probably had a similar relief to the right hand panel. The wall was repaired after traffic damage in 2000.

Listing NGR: SJ8777691724

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
210815
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Websites
John Cassidy: Manchester Sculptor, accessed 13/01/2021 from http://www.johncassidy.org.uk/heatonmoor.html
War Memorials Online - Heaton Moor, accessed 13/01/2021 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/133392
War Memorials Register Heaton Chapel and Heaton Moor, accessed 13/01/2021 from https://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/10699

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 21 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/01782/16
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Derek Trillo. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].