FORMER BARCLAYS BANK

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1356834

Date first listed: 18-May-1981

Statutory Address: FORMER BARCLAYS BANK, 26, SILVER STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of FORMER BARCLAYS BANK
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1356834 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2018 at 07:56:58.

Location

Statutory Address: FORMER BARCLAYS BANK, 26, SILVER STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Bury (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SD 80301 10700

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SD 8010 NW, SILVER STREET (west side), 1/74,

Former Barclays Bank

18.5.81

II

1868, by Blackwell and Son and Booth, of Manchester and Bury. Enriched classical style. A substantial corner building of two storeys. Ashlar, with moulded plinth and rusticated bands across ground floor and cornice (on brackets alternation with medallions) across upper floor. Five large windows, the upper ones having shaped hoods on brackets and enriched pseudo-balcony fronts. The middle bay projects slightly; on ground floor it has large arched entry with horizontal ribbing to angled intrados and grotesque head as keystone; on first floor it has paired pilasters supporting segmental pediment enclosing sculpture. Side sections of front are framed by pilasters. Parapet with sections of balustrading; chimneys with bracketed cornices surmount it. 4-bay return front to Bank Street is similar. Recessed quadrant corner. INTERIOR has highly enriched plasterwork.

Built for Bury Banking Co, founded (as Grundy and Wood) before 1836. Upper floor formerly used as Bury Council Chamber and offices.

Listing NGR: SD8029110708

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 210725

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing