SMETHURST HALL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1356835
Date first listed:
29-Jan-1985
Statutory Address:
SMETHURST HALL, SMETHURST HALL ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of SMETHURST HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1356835 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Sep-2019 at 09:06:54.

Location

Statutory Address:
SMETHURST HALL, SMETHURST HALL ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Bury (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SD 83579 11804

Details

SD 81 SW SMETHURST HALL ROAD 6/75 - Smethurst Hall

- II

Of various dates, from C20 back to perhaps C16. Originally a detached hall, but divided in 3 in C20. Coursed squared rubble. 2 storeys. Left-hand section is cross- wing, probably mainly later C17 or earlier C18. It has 2 stone mullioned windows (with further window in head of gable and C20 porch below right-hand window). Central, rendered section perhaps essentially C16, with very steep roof, has 2 modernised windows (and C19 moulded-panel doors to left). Larger scale right-hand section, probably later C19, has 3 windows, formerly sashes, the right-hand one in projecting gable (door below middle window). C20 pentice addition on far left. Rear of left- hand section has 2 3-light stone mullioned windows of C17 or early C18. Meadowcroft family recorded as living at Smethurst in 1581. John Taylor made alterations commemorated by tablet inscribed "T/IM/1756" (later removed). (NOTES AND QUERIES: 9.3.1906, p29).

Listing NGR: SD8357911804

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
210727
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Notes and Queries' in 9 March, (1906), 29

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 18 Mar 2001
Reference: IOE01/02821/09
Rights: Copyright IoE Ms Pamela Jackson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].