Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1356849.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Nov-2021 at 15:20:11.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Stockport (Metropolitan Authority)
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
SJ 86884 90698


1. HIGHFIELD PARK 5086 (east side) Heaton Norris SJ 8690

17/190 Nos. 1 and 3


2. House now 2 dwellings. c 1830, altered late C19, subdivided c 1928. Stuccoed brick, graduated Welsh slate roof. 2 storeys with cellars, 5 bays with 1-storey, l-bay addition to front left and 2-storey, 3-bay wing to rear right. Bay 3 is narrow, recessed and has original porch with part-glazed double door and cusped- tracery fanlight beneath chamfered Tudor arch with headmould; embattled parapet rising to peak over door. Across bays 4 and 5 is a canted, 1-storey bay window having large 4-pane sashes with hoodmoulds; blank shield to parapet as porch. To bays 1 and 2 are later, rectangular bay windows having casements with transoms and flat roofs. 1st floor: blocks to projecting sills of tall paired sashes with margin-glazed, Tudor-arched lights; bay 3 has later casement; windows of bays 3 and 4 have hoodmoulds and are set beneath gables with applied studding and plain bargeboards. Altered brick stacks to left end, to near-centre of ridge and behind ridge on right. C20 addition to left of main range has 4-light transom window and parapet as main porch. Right return: gabled main range; windows as front. Wing set back on right has 1-storey rectangular bay window with shield beneath parapet as porch. Interior: Main ground-floor rooms of No. 1 have floral-tile insets to cast-iron fireplaces in Gothic-style marble surrounds (the left room has later mahogany overmantel); both bay windows have stained-glass transom lights and both rooms have moulded plaster ceilings with geometric design incorporating fleur-de-lys and fruiting vines. The 1-storey addition has an Edwardian chimneypiece and dado panelling said to be from a former, detached billiard room to rear of the house. 1st floor: patent, Edwardian bath/shower compartment; mid C19 cast-iron/tile fireplaces in marble surrounds. No. 3: part-glazed, panelled inner porch doors have Tudor-arched lights and painted-glass Gothick fanlight. Front-right room has enriched cornice; room to rear wing has moulded plaster ceiling with clustered- heart motifs. Staircase and landing balustrade of cusped, cast-iron panels to wooden handrail; Tudor arches off landing lit by painted-glass lantern. Highfield House, as it was known, has James Pritchard as its first recorded occupant; he was succeeded by Samuel Lamb in 1832 then members of the Marsland family from 1847 (Eaton p.18). The house is clearly shown in an established setting on the 1848 Tithe Map; it then occupied a fashionable, elevated site overlooking the Mersey Valley. J Eaton, 'Heaton Mersey 1188 to 1981', typescript in Stockport Central Library.

Listing NGR: SJ8688490698


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 01 Apr 2001
Reference: IOE01/02214/35
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Derek Trillo. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].