ST ANDREW'S HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1356864

Date first listed: 08-Mar-1999

Statutory Address: ST ANDREW'S HOUSE, SAFFRON HILL

Map

Ordnance survey map of ST ANDREW'S HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1356864 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2018 at 18:20:02.

Location

Statutory Address: ST ANDREW'S HOUSE, SAFFRON HILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Camden (London Borough)

National Grid Reference: TQ 31492 81736

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ 3181 NW 798-1/102/1890

SAFFRON HILL (South West side) St Andrew's House

11/01/99

GV II Nineteen flats, some now in office use. Built in 1875 by Corporation of the City of London, architect Horace Jones. Stock brick with some rendered details, flat roof. Symmetrical plan of four storeys with attic over centrepiece. One-bay centrepiece and two-bay end wings, with between them on each side and each floor six bays set behind galleries of cast-iron with exposed four-centred beams. All windows with glazing-bar sashes, those to centre and ends in stucco surrounds. The badge of the Corporation on the end wings.

INTERIORS: altered and a lift inserted.

HISTORICAL NOTE: this block, originally known as Viaduct Buildings, is the oldest surviving public housing in London and one of the oldest in Britain. This is the survivor of two blocks built by the Corporation, whose design owes much to Sydney Waterlow's model dwellings for the Improved Industrial Dwellings Company. This design is more lavish than was generally adopted by the IIDC, particularly in its use of cast-iron. Waterlow was a member of the City's Common Council and the Inspiration behind this development.



Listing NGR: TQ3148881735

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 473100

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing