THE ICE HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1356865

Date first listed: 25-May-1999

Statutory Address: THE ICE HOUSE, BOHEMIA ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE ICE HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1356865 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Nov-2018 at 00:26:41.

Location

Statutory Address: THE ICE HOUSE, BOHEMIA ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: East Sussex

District: Hastings (District Authority)

National Grid Reference: TQ 80662 09856

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ 8009 BOHEMIA ROAD Hontye Park

22/10032 The Ice House

II

Ice house. Early C19, thought to have been part of Westel Brisco's improvements to the Bohemia Estate following his purchase of the house and grounds in 1831, but first shown on the Ordnance Survey Map of 1873. Built of coursed local stone with dome covered in cement render and having remains of brick and stone to collapsed entrance tunnel. Consists of a semi-subterranean single beehive-shaped chamber measuring 3.7m. Square on plan and 5.5m in height built into a north facing bank. The main entrance on the south-west side was by a short tunnel, now demolished, which arrived in the chamber at mid-level. At low level, when last inspected, the outline of a door could be seen though it was not known where it emerged. The floor of the chamber contained a drain outlet. At the time of inspection the site was overgrown and only the top of the dome and parts of the entrance tunnel were visible. The ice house was adjacent to a courtyard fronting Bohemia House. Bohemia House was demolished c1972. At time of inspection this was the only known ice house in the Borough of Hastings. A survey drawing of the ice house, Ref. No.839 was produced in 1984 by the then Planners Department of Hastings Council.



Listing NGR: TQ8066209856

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 473101

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing