CHRISTCHURCH

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1356869

Date first listed: 08-Mar-1999

Statutory Address: CHRISTCHURCH, NEWCHURCH

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHRISTCHURCH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1356869 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2018 at 01:34:51.

Location

Statutory Address: CHRISTCHURCH, NEWCHURCH

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Staffordshire

District: East Staffordshire (District Authority)

Parish: Yoxall

National Grid Reference: SK 14848 23450

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SK125W YOXALL NEWCHURCH

171/9/10018 Christchurch

GV II

Church 1806-08, possibly by Joseph Potter of Lichfield. Roof renewed 1840, floor, seats and windows renewed 1880. North vestry added 1899. Declared redundant and closed, 1998. Red brick, with ashlar dressings and gabled and hipped welsh state roofs, with coped gables to the nave. Plinth and buttresses throughout. 2-light pointed arched windows, mainly with chamfered surrounds and panel tracery installed 1880. Single bay chancel has east window and blank sides. Aisleless nave has 3 windows each side. Buttressed west tower, 3 stages, has string courses and crenellated parapet, formerly with corner pinnacles. West door has Tudor arched head, probably inserted with inscription. The door head forms the sill of the west window. First stage has clock faces to north and west, and a round window to south. Bell stage has pointed arched bell openings with hood moulds, wooded Y-tracery and louvres. Vestry and south porch, flanking the tower, have small windows to west, that to the porch flat headed. Porch has Tudor arched south door. INTERIOR: Plain rendered. Chancel has slightly moulded pointed arch, dying into chamfered responds. Cornice to ceiling. Traceried panelled wooden reredos and alter, c1921. Wooden communion rail,c1930. East window stained glass, c1880. Nave has strutted kingpost trusses with small cusps, and arch braces to wooden corbels. East end raised to form choir, 1880. Pointed blank arch at west end, with Tudor arched door. Royal Arms in relief above. Blocked door into south porch, which serves as boiler room. Stained glass to north c1932, by Powell. Stained glass to south, 1909, commemorates Hamar Bass, and depicts inter alia a C19 house probably his home. Porch below tower has matchboard dado and pointed arched doors. FITTINGS: Inlaid octagonal wooded pulpit with stick balusters to stair, c1808. Plain benches and traceried wooden tectern,c1880. Lobed quatrefoil font with inscription, on clustered shaft, c1900. Choir stalls, clergy desk and organ console screen, c1933. MEMORIALS: Several marble and slate tablets, 1832-1881. Three hatchments, early and mid C19. (Forms group value with item 10019)



Listing NGR: SK1484823450

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 473106

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing