CHURCH OF ST THOMAS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1356871

Date first listed: 08-Mar-1999

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST THOMAS, ASHWORTH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST THOMAS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1356871 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Nov-2018 at 17:50:57.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST THOMAS, ASHWORTH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Bolton (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SD 73314 05920

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SD 70 NW, 1664/9/10020

FARNWORTH, ASHWORTH STREET (North side), Church of St Thomas

II

Parish church. 1877-79, by J S Rawson, a local architect. Built by Coop Bros. of Bolton. Declared redundant late C20. Rock-faced stone with ashlar dressings and state roofs with patterned red ridge tiles. Early English style. Chancel with apse, organ chamber and vestry, nave with aisles, north and south porches. Plinth and chamfered eaves throughout. Coped gables. Chancel has cusped east window, and side windows with plate tracery, all with pointed arches, with sill band and linked hood mould. To south, gabled organ chamber, and in the return angle, a hipped porch with shouldered door. Vestry, 2 bays, has half-hipped through-eaves dormers, each with a plain double lancet. Plain single lancet in west gable. Nave has 6 bays divided by buttresses, each bay having 2 pointed arched clerestorey windows under a linked hoodmould. Coped side watt stack at east end. West gable has angle buttresses and a short central buttress. 5-light west window with hoodmould, and above it, brackets for a bell. North aisle, 6 bays, and south aisle, 5 bays, have buttresses, and in each bay a 2-light pointed arched window with plate tracery. North and south porches have buttressed pointed arched doorways with multiple chamfering and hood moulds. Board doors have blind tracery in their heads.

INTERIOR: Rendered. Chancel has moulded polychrome arch without responds, and hood mould. Single lancet opening to south. Boarded vault and half-dome with moulded ribs on corbels and watt shafts. Windows have pointed arched openings with linked hood mould. East window has stained glass, 1896, and south east window stained glass cl900. Wooden memorial reredos with triptych, c1907. North side has a moulded blind arch, and south side has a similar arched opening to the organ chamber. The organ, chancel and altar rails have been removed. Nave has arcades with polychrome octagonal piers, 6 bays, and enriched moulded arches with hood moulds. Boarded wagon roof with moulded ribs on watt shafts. Clerestorey has wrought iron tamp brackets between each pair of windows. Similar brackets on the west wall. At the rear, a full-width screen with leaded glazing and diagonal match boarding, and a central opening under a traceried gable. The screen is linked to matching screens and doors to the porches. Narrow aisles have double-chamfered cross-arches. Vestry has original joinery, segment headed fireplaces in chamfered stone surround, and other original fittings. FITTINGS: Octagonal stone font, C14 style, with plain base, stem with quadruple shafts, and elaborately traceried bowl with pointed arched pendants. Octagonal wooden pulpit and steps, partly demolished, on octagonal stone stem. Panelled benches, and choir stalls with blind tracery. MEMORIALS: War memorial tablet, and Roll of Honour in wooden case, 1919. Bronze and marble memorial tablet, 1897.



Listing NGR: SD7331405920

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 473108

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing