Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Date of most recent amendment:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1356873.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 04-Dec-2021 at 13:00:45.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Greater London Authority
City of Westminster (London Borough)
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
TQ 30269 80893


TQ 3080 NW KING STREET WC2 No 40 1900/72/10228


Shop and offices, formerly house. Early C18 house on the Bedford Estate (ratebooks suggest rebuilding in 1753-4, 1776-7 and 1780-1), heightened by two floors and refenestrated in mid C19 and with late C20 shopfront. Stock brick with flat roof concealed by parapet. Five storeys and basement; 3 windows. Stone parapet and bands below 4th and 3rd floors. Mid C19 sashes with vertical glazing bars only and horns within original reveals with brick voussoirs. Late C20 shopfront. Interior has three flights of a staircase of c1720 with moulded and turned balusters, newel posts, moulded handrail, simple dado panel and a closed stair string with a carriage architrave detail. The top flight has the original balustrading concealed. First floor rear room has full-height painted panelling on the west wall, dado-height to the other three walls, moulded cornice all round, wooden fireplace, narrow cupboard and wide carved architraves to doors. Top of staircase is mid C19 staircase with stick balusters and column newel. Late C19 fire door into no 41. Previous occupants included Moses Mendes, a poet and dramatist, Lord Chedworth in 1757 and an antiquary, Daniel Wray, in 1770. [Survey of London Vol. XXXVI pp165-166.]

Listing NGR: TQ3026580921


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
'Survey of London' in The Parish of St Paul Covent Garden: Volume 36, (1970)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 18 Mar 2007
Reference: IOE01/16347/16
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Anthony Rau. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].