HOSPITAL THE GRAMMAR SCHOOL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1356899

Date first listed: 02-Nov-1954

Statutory Address: HOSPITAL, HIGH STREET

Statutory Address: THE GRAMMAR SCHOOL, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of HOSPITAL
THE GRAMMAR SCHOOL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1356899 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2018 at 20:27:49.

Location

Statutory Address: HOSPITAL, HIGH STREET

Statutory Address: THE GRAMMAR SCHOOL, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Northamptonshire

District: Daventry (District Authority)

Parish: Clipston

National Grid Reference: SP 71273 81560

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CLIPSTON HIGH STREET SP7081 (West side) 15/15 The Grammar School and 02/11/54 Hospital

GV II

School and hospital, now school. Datestone 1667. By Matthew Cole of Clipston. Squared coursed lias with C20 plain tiled roof. E-shaped plan, 2 storeys with attic. The whole comprises a 7-window range. The central gable projects slightly and is larger than those flanking. Central plank and braced door under 4-centred moulded stone head with moulded cornice above is flanked by two 2-light stone mullioned with transomed windows with leaded lights, similar 4-light windows above entrance with 3-light mullion to attic above. The remaining windows are 2-light stone mullions at attic level in gables. There are two secondary entrances to the return walls of the flanking wings which have moulded stone surrounds with 4-centred arch heads. Ashlar gable parapets and kneelers, single handed clock with octagonal moulded stone surround in centre gable. Inscription above main entrance "This free Grammar School and Hospital were built and endowed by Sir George Buswell, Bart, AD.1667." Side and rear elavations similar, C20 extension to rear. Interior and rear elevations altered in 1926. Interior retains original C17 staircase. Some plank doors and stopped chamfered ceiling beams. (Buildings of England: Northamptonshire p.151)

Listing NGR: SP7127381560

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 360268

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, (1973), 151

End of official listing