Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1356914.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2021 at 23:53:46.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

West Northamptonshire (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SP 71769 70100



16/247 Church of St. Andrew 02/11/54 GV I

Church. C12 to C15. Squared coursed lias with lead roof. Nave, aisles, chancel and west tower. Chancel, south elevation, 2-window range of 2-light Perpendicular windows with small south door between. East window similar of 3 lights. Gabled roof with ashlar parapet and finials. North aisle extending to full length of chancel was built by John Chambre between 1494 and 1505 with two 3-light simple perpendicular style windows and similar 4-light east window. South aisle: 3-window range of two 2-light windows with reticulated tracery and one of 3 lights with 4-centred head. C12 south door between windows 1 and 2 from left has zig-zag decoration, carved capitals and double shafts. Lean-to roof with ashlar parapets. North Aisle: 3-window range of 2- light windows with intersecting tracery. 3-light window with 4-centred head to west. Lean-to roof with ashlar parapets. Gabled porch between window 1 and 2 from right is probably C19. Nave: 4-window range, 2 windows to left are 2- light square headed with reticulated tracery, those to right are 2-light with 4-centred arched heads. Gabled roof with ashlar parapets. West tower of 3 stages, late C12, has west entrance with zig-zag decoration, moulded capitals and shafts. C12 triple arch above. Second stage has 5-bay archade with detached shafts. Third stage has double Early English bell openings with semi-circular arch over and pointed arches flanking with similar arrangement to each facade. Corbel table with battlements and C14 recessed spire with 2 stages of lucarnes, Interior: Chancel: 2-bay arcade of chamfered arches into north chapel with octagonal pier. Double chamfered chancel arch, shallow C19 kingpost roof, 4- bay nave arcade of C12 semi circular arches on north side with step and chamfer having square abaci, capital with upright leaves and circular piers, south arcade of C19 of double chamfered arches on circular piers, C12 tower arch and shallow king post roof. 2 arcaded tomb recesses in south aisle and one in north. Stained glass, east window by Powell 1899. Monuments: brass under organ, to Robert Powell and family 1464. Tomb chest with quatrefoils between east chancel arcade and similar with trefoiled panels has recumbent alabaster figure of Sir John Swinford 1371 (original iron gridle alongside). Piscina and sedilia in chancel. Tall niche with ogee head and foliated finials on east wall of south aisle. Many marble tables, 2 similar to Francis and Elizabeth Beynan late C18 by William Cox, both with cherubs head set against obelisk. Pews C19 have traceried ends. Font, octagonal C13.

Listing NGR: SP7176970100


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/07284/28
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Michael E. Megeary. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].