14-16, COCKSPUR STREET SW1

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1356947
Date first listed:
20-Jun-1973
Statutory Address:
14-16, COCKSPUR STREET SW1

Map

Ordnance survey map of 14-16, COCKSPUR STREET SW1
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1356947 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Sep-2019 at 03:15:31.

Location

Statutory Address:
14-16, COCKSPUR STREET SW1

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
City of Westminster (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 29820 80387

Details

TQ 2980 SE CITY OF WESTMINSTER COCKSPUR STREET, SW1 82/36 20.6.73 Nos. 14 to 16 (consec)

G.V. II

Headquarters offices. 1906-08 by A.T. Bolton for the Hamburg-America Shipping Line. Portland stone faced, slate roof. Free Style classicism. 4 storeys, attic storey and dormered mansard 4 wide window bays. Ground floor shipping-hall front in c.1920 granite frame with display windows flanking central doorway with columns supporting bronze figures of Britannia and Asia by E.G. Gillock (1920). 1st floor, articulated by rusticated piers has large mullioned-transomed leaded casements whilst the 2nd and 3rd floors have shallow oriels flanked by paired Ionic columns in antis through 2 storeys, carrying deep modillion corniced entablature. Attic storey with 3-light casements between panelled piers, has off centre right ornate aedicule feature breaking skyline. The interior of the shipping hall has mahogany panelling inlaid with mother of pearl and with Corinthian columns in the centre with gilded capitals; the ceiling has painted panels, inserted in 1920, by Lieutenant Geoffrey Allfree, R.N.C. Behind the hall is the unaltered manager's office with a black and gold chandelier of c.1920.

Survey of London; Vol. XX.

Listing NGR: TQ2982080387

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
209300
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Survey of London' in Trafalgar Square and neighbourhood The Parish of St Martin-in-the-Fields Part 3: Volume 20 , , Vol. 20, (1979)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 28 Mar 2002
Reference: IOE01/07232/16
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Stephen Hodgson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].