HAMPDEN HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1357056
Date first listed:
14-Jan-1970
Statutory Address:
HAMPDEN HOUSE, 61, GREEN STREET W1

Map

Ordnance survey map of HAMPDEN HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1357056 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2019 at 04:42:54.

Location

Statutory Address:
HAMPDEN HOUSE, 61, GREEN STREET W1

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
City of Westminster (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 28187 80926

Details

TQ 2880 NW CITY OF WESTMINSTER GREEN STREET, Wl 68/22 14.1.70 No. 61, (Hampden House) - II* Two formerly distinct houses, both c. 1730 and since the 1780 s linked by a single storey front range and a 2 - storey rear extension-overlap. The main east house (former No. 61) by Roger Morris for himself with early and later C.19 internal and rear elevation alterations and early C.20 heightening to centre front. Brown brick, slate roof. An interesting astylar Palladian exercise of 3 storeys and basement. Advanced 3 window centre, originally of 2 storeys, with 2 window wide wings. Central entrance with stucco Doric porch added 1869. Recessed plate glass sashes under flat gauged arches, stone sills. 1st floor sill band; parapets with copings. Wrought iron area railings with flambe torch finials. 3-storey rear elevation, with 3-window wide centre and slightly advanced single bay wings, is an early C.19 alteration by Henry Harrison; the wings, including 1st floor mezzanine have tripartite windows set in shallow vertical panels up to stucco entablature below attic storey. Cast iron geometric pattern balcony and balconettes to wings on 1st floor, similarly patterned area railings. Harrison also re-windowed the east and west elevations of the overlap - extension wing joining No. 60. Interiors retain Morris's plan with the central apse-sided entrance hall and its box cornice, a secondary east wing staircase probably by Morris and an early C.18 fielded panel room, otherwise redecorated by Harrison including his main staircase with marble relief plaques on walls by Gibson, Tenerani and Thorwaldsen and Adamesque decoration of the 1870-80 s etc. The former No. 60 was built by James Richards, Master Carver. Brick, slate roof, 3 storeys and basement. 2 windows wide. Entrance originally to east side where there are still original sashes with thick glazing bars, a rare survival. Parapet with coping. Wrought iron area railings. Single storey 4-window link of the 1780s has parapet with coping. The original interior of the former No. 60 retains most of its panelling with box cornices etc. and the dog leg staircase with turned balusters. Rear extension forms part of 1780s and early C.19 Harrison work uniting the two properties as one with late C.19 alterations. Survey of London; Vol. XL.

Listing NGR: TQ2818780926

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
209939
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Survey of London' in Survey of London - The Grosvenor Estate in Mayfair Part 2 The buildings: Volume 40 , , Vol. 40, (1980)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 26 Feb 2006
Reference: IOE01/15207/20
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Anthony Rau. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].