ELM HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1357131
Date first listed:
12-Sep-1955
Date of most recent amendment:
01-Mar-1990
Statutory Address:
ELM HOUSE, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of ELM HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1357131 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Sep-2019 at 21:08:28.

Location

Statutory Address:
ELM HOUSE, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
West Oxfordshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Shilton
National Grid Reference:
SP 26649 08454

Details

SHILTON CHURCH LANE

SP20NE Elm House (previously 4/294 listed as Elm Farm- 12.9.55 house).

GV II

Former Farm House. Dated 1683. Coursed rubble and ashlar quoins on chamfered plinth, Cotswold stone roof. Square paired end chimneys, to east retaining joint capping. 2 storeys on basement, gable - lit attic. 2:3 windows, cross mullion wooden casements with chamfered wooden lintels on ground floor and continuous wooden string lintel over 1st floor. Two 2-light stone mullion windows to basement or cellar (left). Roughly central ledged door with date in raised letters in panel above. 1-bay extension to right, chimney dated 1684 - here the ground floor window and door have stone flat arches. Good interior. Well staircase with ball- topped newels (2 retain turned underside) and fattish turned balusters on moulded string. In ground floor east room a good stone Tudor-arch fire- place with cornice; west room has cambered wooden lintel to fireplace with cut firearm brackets over, and a wide stop chamfered spine beam. Diamond- stop-chamfers to door-surrounds. The east room has a plaster design above the fireplace. A little bit of carving occurs on a quoin to right of main block.

Listing NGR: SP2664908454

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
422344
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 29 Nov 2002
Reference: IOE01/09447/24
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Derek Cotterill. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].