CANON ROW POLICE STATION

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1357244
Date first listed:
01-Dec-1987
Statutory Address:
CANON ROW POLICE STATION, CANON ROW SW1

Map

Ordnance survey map of CANON ROW POLICE STATION
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1357244 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Sep-2019 at 10:16:26.

Location

Statutory Address:
CANON ROW POLICE STATION, CANON ROW SW1

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
City of Westminster (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 30219 79769

Details

TQ 3079 NW CITY OF WESTMINSTER CANNON ROW, SW1 92/22 Cannon Row Police Station

G.V. II*

Police station. 1898-1902 by J. Dixon Butler with R. Norman Shaw as consultant, as part of the New Scotland Yard extension (1896-1906), Victoria Embankment q.v. Granite, Portland stone and red brick, slate roofs. Amalgam of Flemish and English Baroque sources continuing Shaw's original New Scotland Yard theme. L plan with screen wall to courtyard. 4 storeys and attic main block with 2 storey range in parallel fronting Cannon Row and 5 storey east wing. The main range 1 window deep and 7 windows wide. Ground and 1st floor granite faced with large rusticated doorway under cornice and blocking course in north gable end. Segmental arched casement windows those in upper brick and stone banded floors in stone architraves; rusticated Venetian windows to north gable end. The east wing has pairs of narrower segmental arched windows. Stone eaves cornice and stone dressed gables to main block with tall coupled banded chimney stacks. The granite masonry of north gable end ground and 1st floors is continued at slightly lower level as the screen wall to courtyard with pedestrian doorway and segmental stop-moulded and keyed arch carriage entrance; 4 storeys added above in similar style to east wing.

Listing NGR: TQ3021979769

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
208954
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 21 Jul 2005
Reference: IOE01/14614/11
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Anthony Rau. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].