TOWER OF ST ANNE'S CHURCH, SOHO

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1357340

Date first listed: 24-Feb-1958

Statutory Address: TOWER OF ST ANNE'S CHURCH, SOHO, WARDOUR STREET W1

Map

Ordnance survey map of TOWER OF ST ANNE'S CHURCH, SOHO
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1357340 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2018 at 15:45:20.

Location

Statutory Address: TOWER OF ST ANNE'S CHURCH, SOHO, WARDOUR STREET W1

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: City of Westminster (London Borough)

National Grid Reference: TQ 29701 80923

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ 2980 NE CITY OF WESTMINSTER WARDOUR STREET, W1 71/24 24.2.58 Tower of St Anne's Church, Soho G.V. II* Church tower. 1801-03 by S. P. Cockerell, the body of the church, by Wren or Talman, blitzed and since entirely demolished. Stock brick and Portland stone, lead spire cum clock tower. Exceptional and original exercise in neo-classical rationalism with sophisticated planar modelling. 3 stages, the lower 2 in brick on stone plinth with semicircular arched recess and flanking battered buttress- piers slightly inset from corner, block cornice with stone tablet set below "hanging" over recess; stone plinth to 2nd stage with shallow segmented recess cut out above block cornice, louvred oculus and quoin pilasters with corresponding breaks in cornice and blocking course above; tall stone belfry with marked batter, chamfered corners and Doric columns "squeezed" in antis flanking louvred openings, deeply moulded crowning cornice. Above rises the remarkable steeple cum clock tower starting off as a truncated stone cone, becoming a lead drum with oculi and then waisted before swelling as intersecting "barrels" for the 4 clock faces, finished off with finial and weathervane. Survey of London; Vol XXXIII

Listing NGR: TQ2970180923

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 207446

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Survey of London' in The Parish of St Anne Soho: Volumes 33 and 34 , , Vol. 33, (1966)

End of official listing