41 AND 43, WARDOUR STREET W1

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1357341
Date first listed:
01-Feb-1974
Statutory Address:
41 AND 43, WARDOUR STREET W1

Map

Ordnance survey map of 41 AND 43, WARDOUR STREET W1
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1357341 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2019 at 17:58:08.

Location

Statutory Address:
41 AND 43, WARDOUR STREET W1

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
City of Westminster (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 29697 80826

Details

TQ 2980 NE CITY OF WESTMINSTER WARDOUR STREET, W1 71/55 1.2.74 Nos 41 and 43 G.V. II Commercial premises. 1904-05 by H. M. Wakeley. Red brick with elaborate green and buff stone dressings, slate roof. Free Style Jacobetban. 4 storeys and attic. 3 windows wide. Ground floor has elaborate central doorway with mask and consoles, the jambs with metal cartouches inscribed "Sarah Bernhardt laid the foundation stone of this building 1905"; shop windows to left and right with entablature-fascia above and flanking pilasters with garlanded caps and giant brackets bearing large urns. The outer windows on upper floors are treated as through storey canted bays with shaped dividers to casements, set back in full height recesses with segmental pediments broken by the balconettes on large cartouches of pedimented dormers behind. Bowed central arch to 1st floor with cartouches on dividing columns inscribed "Established 1833" and "Rebuilt 1904"; 3 segmental windows below shaped eaves cornice. G. L. C. plaque commemorating Willy Clarkson, theatrical wigmaker, 1861-1954. Survey of London. Vol XXXI.

Listing NGR: TQ2968880821

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
207451
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Survey of London' in The Parish of Westminster Part 2 North of Piccadilly: Volumes 31 and 32 , , Vol. 31, (1963)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 19 Jan 2005
Reference: IOE01/13768/26
Rights: Copyright IoE Ms Arabella Anderson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].