12-16, THE PANTILES

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1357392
Date first listed:
20-May-1952
Statutory Address:
12-16, THE PANTILES

Map

Ordnance survey map of 12-16, THE PANTILES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1357392 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2019 at 12:38:18.

Location

Statutory Address:
12-16, THE PANTILES

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Kent
District:
Tunbridge Wells (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 58123 38798

Details

1. THE PANTILES 1746 (North West Side) Nos 12 to 16 (even) TQ 5838 NW 1/12 20.5.52 II GV 2. Cl8 front, but marked "Erected 1664". Built in 3 sections. The north wing is built over an arcade leading from tile Pantiles to London Road. 2 storeys and attic above the arcade, tile-hung. 3 dormers and 3 windows. The east wing is fronted with painted wood, grooved in iimitation of masonry. 3 storeys. Paired bracket eaves cornice. 3 sashes with most glazing bars intact. The 1st floor has one curved and one canted bay window on the 1st floor. Modern shop fronts. Colonnade of 6 Tuscan columns on high plinths in front with fine cast iron balcony met. No 16 is the south wing at the back of the shops. It has a half-hipped gable. Doorcase in London Road with fluted pilasters and flat hood over on brackets. No 16 has a good C18 staircase with one plain and 1 spiralled baluster to each tread, scrolled tread ends and a newel post in the form of a Tuscan column. Nos 2 to 28 (even) and Nos 38 to 72 (even) form a group.

Listing NGR: TQ5813538809

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
168138
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 May 2004
Reference: IOE01/10581/02
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Hilary Crisp. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].