THE OLD SCHOOL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1357416
Date first listed:
28-Apr-1987
Statutory Address:
THE OLD SCHOOL, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE OLD SCHOOL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1357416 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2019 at 04:11:22.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE OLD SCHOOL, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
South Somerset (District Authority)
Parish:
Martock
National Grid Reference:
ST 46185 19129

Details

The Old School, Church Street. 12/193 9/193

------------------------------------

The Old School, Church Street. 12/193 9/193

------------------------------------ ST4619 MARTOCK CP CHURCH STREET (East side)

12/193 The Old School

-

GV II

Former National School, now assembly hall. Dated 1846. Ham stone ashlar; Welsh slate roof between coped gables, behind a parapet on front elevation; stone and brick chimney stacks. Single storey, 5 bays. Plinth, eaves course, open quatrefoil-work parapet, bay buttresses, offset on corners; 3-light cinquefoil cusped windows with transomes and flat arched heads under labels with deep drops, mostly diamond-leaded, to bays 1, 2, 4 and 5: bay 3 is a gabled projection with angled corner buttresses and pointed arched doorway set under deep square label, the spandrils elaborately carved with foilage; pierced stonework vent in gable, under a pinnacle finial; set over doorway a square panel with the inscription "Glory to God in the Highest/Martock National School House/ erected by public and private contributions/AD 1846/Jesus said suffer the little children to come unto me". Interior not seen. The building was in use as a school until a new school was opened in 1975. (VCH, Vol III, 1974).



Listing NGR: ST4618519129

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
422283
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Somerset, (1974)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 19 Feb 2003
Reference: IOE01/08001/17
Rights: Copyright IoE Ms Diana Hill. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].