ALMSHOUSES

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1357429

Date first listed: 08-Dec-1955

Statutory Address: ALMSHOUSES, 1 AND 2, NORTH SIDE

Map

Ordnance survey map of ALMSHOUSES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1357429 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2018 at 09:38:49.

Location

Statutory Address: ALMSHOUSES, 1 AND 2, NORTH SIDE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Oxfordshire

District: Cherwell (District Authority)

Parish: Steeple Aston

National Grid Reference: SP4749026004

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

STEEPLE ASTON NORTH SIDE SP4726, SP4725 (North side) 8/115, 9/115 Nos.1 and 2, Almshouses 08/12/55 (Formerly listed as Almshouses (Radcliff's Hospital) GV II

Pair of almshouses. Probably c.1660; altered c.1814 and extended C20. Coursed squared marlstone with limestone dressings; Stonesfield-slate roof with stone-and-brick gable stacks. Single-unit plans with added wings. One storey plus attic raised to 2 storeys. Symmetrical front has two 2-light stone-mullioned windows with labels, two old plank doors in chamfered 4-centred stone doorways, each inscribed with the initials "SR", and at first floor in later rubble walling has two 3-light casements with lattice glazing. The left cottage (No.2) has a stone sundial with the date "1814". Gable walls show a raised eaves line. Small single-storey extensions flank the range. Interiors not inspected. Built by Brasenose College, Oxford, but the initials probably refer to Dr. Samuel Radcliffe, principal of the college and rector of the parish. (Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, p707)

Listing NGR: SP4749026004

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 422545

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 707

End of official listing