EASTCOTE LONDON REGIONAL TRANSPORT UNDERGROUND STATION AND ADJOINING SHOPS, INCLUDING PLATFORMS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1357435

Date first listed: 17-May-1994

Statutory Address: EASTCOTE LONDON REGIONAL TRANSPORT UNDERGROUND STATION AND ADJOINING SHOPS, INCLUDING PLATFORMS, FIELD END ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of EASTCOTE LONDON REGIONAL TRANSPORT UNDERGROUND STATION AND ADJOINING SHOPS, INCLUDING PLATFORMS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1357435 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2018 at 20:16:20.

Location

Statutory Address: EASTCOTE LONDON REGIONAL TRANSPORT UNDERGROUND STATION AND ADJOINING SHOPS, INCLUDING PLATFORMS, FIELD END ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Hillingdon (London Borough)

National Grid Reference: TQ 11177 87630

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ 1187 NW FIELD END ROAD (north side) 800-/24/10014 Eastcote LRT Underground Station and adjoining shops, including platforms

II

London Underground station. Designed in 1936 by Charles Holden but not opened until 1939. Reinforced concrete post and lintel construction, exposed at platform level, red and grey brick diaper infil, much of it loadbearing. Flat concrete roof slabs treated as broad cornice band under deep eaves. Symmetrical composition on bridge. Double entrance between single-storey shops with curved frontages leads into square double-height ticket hall. Single-storey passage at rear, whence stairs under stepped enclosures with clerestorey glazing descend to integral platforms. The platform buildings set back under deep canopies with clerestorey glazing; at their ends curved waiting rooms. Original bronzed glazing and curved door to 'The Bakery', kiosk west of entrance. Fenestration of other shop altered. Above both impaled open roundels with original signage 'UndergrounD'. Rest of glazing to station metal with horizontal emphasis. Ticket hall with full-height clad tripartite glazing to front and back, and circular top-light in exposed concrete ceiling. It is clad in black tiles at ground floor level. Piers on platforms have small, square, brown tiles. Original clocks on both platforms, with Roman numerals in faces. Doors to waiting rooms also original, as is the glazing, though the horizontal bars have been removed. Included as a complete and unique example of Holden's later evolution of the Sudbury Town style of station, lighter and more Scandinavian in feel than the earlier versions.

Listing NGR: TQ1117787630

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 422562

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing