OXFORD AND CAMBRIDGE UNIVERSITY CLUB

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1357491
Date first listed:
05-Feb-1970
Statutory Address:
OXFORD AND CAMBRIDGE UNIVERSITY CLUB, 71-76, PALL MALL SW1

Map

Ordnance survey map of OXFORD AND CAMBRIDGE UNIVERSITY CLUB
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1357491 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Sep-2019 at 11:29:05.

Location

Statutory Address:
OXFORD AND CAMBRIDGE UNIVERSITY CLUB, 71-76, PALL MALL SW1

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
City of Westminster (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 29432 80159

Details

TQ 2980 SW CITY OF WESTMINSTER PALL MALL SW1 81/54 (South side) 5.2.70 Nos 71 to 76 (consec) (Oxford and Cambridge University Club) GV II* Gentlemen's Club. 1836-37 by Sir Robert Smirke and his brother Sidney Smirke. Stucco, rusticated ground floor and channelled to 1st floor, slate roof. The last of the Clubs in a Greek Revival style. 2 storeys, basement and dormered attic. 7 windows wide. Central Corinthian portico with flight of steps. Ground floor rustication struck to semicircular arches of glazing bar sash windows, with linking impost string. Enriched cornice over ground floor beneath stucco balcony on coupled decorated console-brackets, with cast iron balustrading between dies. The 1st floor glazing bar sashes are recessed with pilaster jambs and entablatures set in panels extended up to contain figured reliefs in the antique taste by W. G. Nicholl from designs by the architect's father Robert Smirke. Main entablature has anthemion frieze, dentil string and modillion cornice with balustraded parapet. Greek Revival interior except for the staircase ornately remodelled with marble facings by Reginald Blomfield in 1906-12. Survey of London; vol XXIX

Listing NGR: TQ2942880154

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
422686
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Survey of London' in The Parish of St James Westminster Part 1 South of Piccadilly: Volumes 29 and 30, , Vol. 29, (1960)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 07 Mar 2006
Reference: IOE01/14269/04
Rights: Copyright IoE Ms Beth Colocci. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].