LONGWOOD BAPTIST SUNDAY SCHOOL AND MEETING ROOMS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1357497
Date first listed:
22-Aug-1986
Statutory Address:
LONGWOOD BAPTIST SUNDAY SCHOOL AND MEETING ROOMS, LONGWOOD GATE

Map

Ordnance survey map of LONGWOOD BAPTIST SUNDAY SCHOOL AND MEETING ROOMS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1357497 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2019 at 12:54:50.

Location

Statutory Address:
LONGWOOD BAPTIST SUNDAY SCHOOL AND MEETING ROOMS, LONGWOOD GATE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Kirklees (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 10551 17085

Details

LONGWOOD GATE 1. 5113 (east side) SE 1017 & SE 1117 Longwood 26/1100 Longwood Baptist Sunday School II and Meeting Rooms

2. Baptist School and Meeting House. 1837. Coursed squared stone with ashlar dressings, Welsh slate roof. 2 storeys, 8 bays. Plinth band. Gabled porch to right of centre has step up to double door under fanlight in round-arched quoined surround with voussoirs aligned to courses and tabled keystone; oval plaque above doorway inscribed "LONGWOOD BAPTIST SCHOOL AND MEETING HOUSE"; moulded kneelers, coping and finial to gable; to returns, a round-arched window with imposts and moulded gutter brackets. Windows on ground floor of meeting house are sashes with margin lights with raised cills and lintel band. 1st-floor windows are round-arched with horizontal glazing bars, raised cills and imposts. Coved gutter brackets on table. Inturned kneelers, coping. Stack to left gable. Right return: small round-arched window in gable. The building was used as the first meeting place for the Mechanics' Institute c1845 and it also housed the Reading Room and News Room and the Discussion Society.

Listing NGR: SE1055117085

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
422645
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 15 May 2001
Reference: IOE01/03942/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Turner. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].