CROSSRIGG HALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1357502

Date first listed: 12-Apr-1984

Statutory Address: CROSSRIGG HALL

Map

Ordnance survey map of CROSSRIGG HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1357502 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Dec-2018 at 03:38:59.

Location

Statutory Address: CROSSRIGG HALL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cumbria

District: Eden (District Authority)

Parish: Bolton

National Grid Reference: NY 60587 24148

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NY 62 SW BOLTON

5/154 Crossrigg Hall

G.V. II*

Large house designed c1864 by Anthony Salvin; additions and alterations by J.H. Martindale c1915 match the original style. Squared, snecked hammer-dressed rubble with string course and quoins on chamfered plinth. Original masonry of local pink sandstone, additions in yellower stone. Graduated slate roofs with dormers; gables have stone copings with ball finials to apex and kneelers. Corniced ashlar chimneys, some projecting; moulded cast-iron gutters. Asymmetrical plan, mostly 2 stories. Wing was added to north side with the embattled tower, dated 1915, built to conceal water-tank. Large mullioned and transomed stair window has segment-headed lights. Original carriage porch was re-used in 1916 with side arches widened. Canted bay window was added to west elevation, and full-height bay window on left of south elevation, c1915. Majority of windows are 2- or 3- light with moulded mullions and, in some cases, transoms. Some of the larger ground-floor windows have a wider central light which has a semicircular head springing from the same level as the transoms to the flanking lights. In 1915, the domestic wing adjoining the east end was enlarged; the original single storey buildings flanking the entrance to the small yard to its rear were for storage. Salvin's interior has been preserved and the original detailing has been matched where extensions made it necessary. The main 'Jacobean' stair was carved in 1915, but Salvin's original stair was re-used in the tower.



Listing NGR: NY6058724148

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 422659

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing