CHURCH OF ST CUTHBERT

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1357504

Date first listed: 06-Feb-1968

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST CUTHBERT

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST CUTHBERT
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1357504 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2018 at 12:53:59.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST CUTHBERT

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cumbria

District: Eden (District Authority)

Parish: Cliburn

National Grid Reference: NY 58766 24490

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NY 52 SE CLIBURN

4/52 Church of St Cuthbert

6.2.68 II

Parish Church; C12 with extensive late C19 restoration. Coursed, squared rubble with snecked rubble additions. Graduated slate roofs (lead roof to aisle) with stone copings and kneelers; bellcote with iron gable-cross to west end. Originally 2-cell plan with south aisle added and gabled porch rebuilt in 1886. Narrow slit window with semicircular head on north side of chancel probably original; others, multi-light, variously foiled and cusped are C19. Lead rainwater goods have dated rainwater heads (1886) and rosette decoration to guttering. Reset C12 south door has plain jambs; small carved figure to either end of shouldered lintel, blank tympanum with chevron decoration to voussoirs. 2 fragmentary inscribed Roman stones and part of medieval grave slab are built into inner porch walls. Internally, original chamfered semicircular chancel arch survives; late C19 octagonal arcade pier and responds. Late C12 font at west end of south aisle has octagonal bowl (recut?), with moulded underside, on shaft with zig-zag decoration; moulded necking to chamfered base.



Listing NGR: NY5876624490

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 422666

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing