CHURCH OF ST PHILIP, PARK TOWN ESTATE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1357670
Date first listed:
07-Apr-1983
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PHILIP, PARK TOWN ESTATE, QUEENSTOWN ROAD SW8

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PHILIP, PARK TOWN ESTATE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1357670 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Oct-2019 at 20:12:41.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PHILIP, PARK TOWN ESTATE, QUEENSTOWN ROAD SW8

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Wandsworth (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 28666 76244

Details

PARK TOWN ESTATE SW8 1. 5033 Church of St Philip (Queenstown Road) TQ 2876 8/4 II GV 2. 1869 by J T Knowles (later Sir James Knowles). The church is of Kentish rag in early and later Middle-Pointed style. It has nave and aisles, transepts and apsidal chancel and a low tower at the liturgical south- west. There was to have been a tall spire. The tower has angle buttresses with turrets and at the high bell stage lofty traceried openings. The 6-bay north aisle has stepped buttresses to the piers between the windows and a parapet above of blind arcading. The south aisle is similar but of 4-bays only, with a gable south porch having clasping buttresses. The south transept has angle buttresses, a 2-lancet window and a rose window above. The north transept also has a 2-light window. The 7-bay apsidal chancel has stepped buttresses and continues the line of the parapet of blind arcading. The interior is reminiscent of Gilbert Scott's work, with lavishly carved foliage and apse with geometrical tracery. The east windows are 1954, by T D Randall of Faithcraft.

Listing NGR: TQ2866676244

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
207096
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 06 Aug 2000
Reference: IOE01/00032/14
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Christopher Strevens. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].