CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1357671
Date first listed:
14-Jul-1955
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY, PONSONBY ROAD SW15

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1357671 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2019 at 23:23:14.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY, PONSONBY ROAD SW15

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Wandsworth (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 22595 73720

Details

TQ 22 73 PONSONBY ROAD SW15 Church of Holy Trinity (Roehampton) 14.7.55 II*

1896 to 1898 G H Fellowes Prynne. Corsham stone rubble with fine dressings. Gothic style. Prominent. North-west tower with crocket-pinnacled angle-turrets buttressing stone needle spire with 3 tiers of lucarnes. Entrance porch integralwith the tower. 5-bay. Nave of clustered piers supporting walls of banded stone and red and yellow brick. Two splayed clerestory windows to each bay. Wooden waggon roof. Wooden lean-to aisle roofs. Three-light pierced stone screen to chancel. Traceried east window of 5 lights. Twin traceried 2-light west windows with rose above, all by Kempe. Apsidal north-east Lady Chapel with lancet windows by Kempe. Panels of high altar painted by E A Fellowes Prynne. Elaborate reredos framed by crocketed stone gable. Brass altar rails to chancel and Lady Chapel. Fine brass lectern. Marble pulpit with rich cosmati work. Marble front with tall Gothic-style wooden front cover in south-west baptistery.

Listing NGR: TQ2259573720

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
207101
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 07 Jan 2001
Reference: IOE01/03379/27
Rights: Copyright IoE Miss Patricia Philpott. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].