CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1357688

Date first listed: 07-Apr-1983

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS, WIMBLEDON PARK ROAD SW18

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1357688 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2018 at 03:59:36.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS, WIMBLEDON PARK ROAD SW18

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Wandsworth (London Borough)

National Grid Reference: TQ 25025 73825

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WIMBLEDON PARK ROAD SW18 1. 5033 Church of St Michael and All Angels TQ 27SE 4/12 II 2. A Gothic building by E W Mountford dated 1897, the eastern parts added 1905. It is of red brick with stone dressings and tile roof. The west end is composed somewhat in the manner of a Tudor gatehouse with octagonal stone-banded towers flanking the gable-end of the nave. This is pierced by a small pointed arch door surround and above it a fine large west window of panel tracery, the apex of the gable above a cill being lit by a small window of panel tracery. The top stage of each tower forms a traceried and glazed lantern with a shallow octagonal cap and spirelet. The west end is completed beyond the towers by the end walls of the aisles, each lit by a 2-lancet window. On the north and south elevations the clerestory windows comprise triplets of cusped lancets beneath flat heads. At the east end stepped buttresses support the gable-end, each side of the panel traceried east window. The end walls of the aisles extend as at the west end. A freestanding north tower was to have completed the design.

Listing NGR: TQ2502573825

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 207193

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing