PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1357705

Date first listed: 25-Oct-1951

Statutory Address: PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY, HIGH STREET SW14

Map

Ordnance survey map of PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1357705 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2018 at 19:57:20.

Location

Statutory Address: PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY, HIGH STREET SW14

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Richmond upon Thames (London Borough)

National Grid Reference: TQ 20845 75941

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

1. 5028 HIGH STREET (south side) Mortlake, SW14

Parish Church of St Mary TQ 2075 13/3 25.10.51

II*

2. Founded 1348 on a site to west of present church, which dates from 1543. The tower is of that date. The building was enlarged in 1725 and 1845. The chancel is of 1885, the nave and south aisle of 1906 by Sir A Blomfield. Vestry House, adjoining, of 1660-70 possibly with some earlier work. Western tower has 4 stages with later cupola. Chequer work of stone and flint to third storey. Tudor brick with stone dressings above. Polygonal stair turret to north-east corner. North aisle of church brick. Rest now rubblestone, late C19 and C20. Perpendicular style clerestory. Low pitched lead roof. Chancel lower than nave Vestry House, adjoining north aisle towards west: a red brick building of 2 storeys. Slate hipped roof. Two windows wide. Upper windows square headed, 2-light with timber mullions and transom. One similar window to left below, but set in chanfered stone recess with segmental relieving arch set in brickwork above. Right-hand lower window retains 2 chanfered mullions.

Listing NGR: TQ2084575941

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 205454

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing