Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1357844.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2021 at 07:48:31.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Greater London Authority
Tower Hamlets (London Borough)
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
TQ 38515 78561


TQ 3878 MANCHESTER ROAD E14 (East side) 788/31/902 Christ Church 27.09.1973


Parish church. 1852-54 by Frederick Johnstone for William Cubitt to serve Cubitt's estate. Contractor William Cubitt. Vestry enlarged 1906-7 by J.E.K. & J.P. Cutts. Baptistry in base of tower 1909 by Bodley & Hare. Stock brick laid in Flemish bond with Portland stone dressings; slate roofs. Plan of nave, transepts, chancel and south steeple. Early English style. EXTERIOR: west end with setback buttresses; stepped buttresses to north and south flanks. Arched west door with undercut mouldings, dog-tooth and 2 orders of columns. 5 stepped lancets above, and single lancet in gable head. Side bays of nave each with twin lancets. Gabled north porch with arched entrance. Setback buttresses to transepts. Both transept with triple lancets and a cusped trefoil under gable heads. 3-stage tower, the lower 2 stages with setback buttresses and setback pilaster buttresses to belfry. Arched south doorway with undercut mouldings and 2 orders of columns. String courses between stages. Ringing chamber with one lancet to west and south sides. Belfry stage with 3 louvred lancets to each face under a corbel course. Broached brick spire with 2 tiers of lucarnes, each consisting of a lancet within a tall gablet. Chancel with 3 trefoil-headed stepped lancets to east wall. One tall lancet to north side and 3 to south. Setback east buttresses and stepped flanking buttresses. INTERIOR: west screen and community rooms of 1982-83 by Levitt Bernstein Associates. Double chamfered chancel arch. Chamfered and hollow chamfered tower arch doorway with polygonal responds. Nave roof of large arched braces rising from expanded wall posts to collars. Roof over crossing elaborated by 4 flying arched braces meeting in the centre and supporting a crown post. Boarded chancel ceiling with ribs. FURNISHINGS: plain marble font. Mural painting over chancel arch of The Company of Heaven by J.R. Spencer Stanhope, 1907, painted by F.A. Jackson. Chancel altar with 5 painted panels in Northern Renaissance style. High altar and reredos (north transept) with painted panels in early Italian Renaissance style. Pulpit with 3 painted panels by John Melhuish Strudwick c. 1914 in Pre-Raphaelite style depicting the Annunciation. Set of Stations of the Cross, c. 1938 by Ian Howgate. Organ (south transept), 1911, rebuilt 1950s by Noel Mander. Stained glass: Edward the Confessor (south-west nave) c. 1920 by A.K. Nicholson.

Listing NGR: TQ3851578561


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 16 Feb 2002
Reference: IOE01/06216/16
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Colin Carron. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].