MERCER'S COTTAGES

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1357881
Date first listed:
27-Sep-1973
Date of most recent amendment:
25-Sep-1990
Statutory Address:
MERCER'S COTTAGES, 1-10, WHITEHORSE ROAD E1

Map

Ordnance survey map of MERCER'S COTTAGES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1357881 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2019 at 10:14:07.

Location

Statutory Address:
MERCER'S COTTAGES, 1-10, WHITEHORSE ROAD E1

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Tower Hamlets (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 36029 81445

Details

TQ 3681 SW WHITEHORSE ROAD E1 17/669 MERCER'S COTTAGES

II NOS 1 - 10 (consec)

Formerly listed as Lady Mico's Almshouses. Symmetrical terrace of 10 cottages. 1856 by George Smith for the mercers' Company; Nos 7-10 largely rebuilt in facsimile following war damage. Grey/white brick with slate roofs. Rusticated stucco quoins between houses. 2 storeys. 14 window range. Brick porches with gauged brick flat arches to entrances and paired enriched console brackets supporting pedimented gables; Nos 1 and 10 on returns. No 2 to 9, one porch per pair, giving illusion of four double fronted cottages. Architraved sashes; ground floors with enriched console brackets supporting cornices and lugged cills, 1st floors with cornices and stucco sill band, lugged at sashes. Central 1st floor painted, stone plaque with cartouch inscribed "The Gift of Dame/Jane Mico Relicta of/S Sam Mico Mercer dec/Built Ano 1691" and summounted by a female bust. Beneath, a stone plague inscribed "Rebuilt by The Worshipful Company of Mercers/AD 1856". Lady Mico, wife of Sir Samuel Mico, Mercer and alderman, bequeathed money for the original almshouses for widows. Taken over 1976 by the GLC for housing.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
206264
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 02 May 2004
Reference: IOE01/12213/15
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Stewart Monk. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].