NUMBERS 24 AND 25 (THE BALLROOM)

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1357945
Date first listed:
29-Jul-1977
Date of most recent amendment:
11-Nov-1999
Statutory Address:
NUMBERS 24 AND 25 (THE BALLROOM), 24 AND 25, REGENTS BRIDGE GARDENS

Map

Ordnance survey map of NUMBERS 24 AND 25 (THE BALLROOM)
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1357945 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Sep-2019 at 23:45:12.

Location

Statutory Address:
NUMBERS 24 AND 25 (THE BALLROOM), 24 AND 25, REGENTS BRIDGE GARDENS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Lambeth (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 30399 77452

Details

TQ 3077 REGENTS BRIDGE GARDENS

963/7/849 Nos. 24 and 25 (The Ballroom)

29-JUL-1977

GV II

House, now offices and attached former library, wine vault and ballroom, now house. Circa 1810 for Beaufoy Vinegar Works. House c.1810 modified later C19, refurbished 1980's. Stock brick, stone dressings, stucco render, roof not visible. Two and three storeys, five bays, the main block of three storeys and three bays, the centre breaking forward. Flanking two storey single bays, that to right 1980's replacing original destroyed by fire, c.1940. Upper floor horned sashes with glazing bars under flat brick arches. Ground floor paired horned sashes with glazing bars in architrave with central shaft. First and second floor stone storey bands. Brick frieze, stone cornice and blocking course 1980's restoration based on the original detail. Later C19 rendered porch with pilasters at the angles, pronounced cornice and flat roof behind parapet. Pair of panelled oak doors beneath overlight under segmental arch, continuous moulded architrave. Left and right returns, window under segmental arch in continuous moulded architrave. Rear elevation articulated as the front. Interior refurbished; staircase with largely original cast iron balustrade. Former ballroom, previously referred to as library over wine vaults, now house, attached to east. Circa 1810, gutted by fire 1941, reduced to single storey, 1980's. Stock brick, 1980's pitched roof. Single storey. Three bay north elevation, tall windows under semicircular arches, now with 1980's French windows. Brick frieze based on that formerly at upper storey. Apsidal east elevation, centre breaking forward, 1980's door, overlight and margin glazing under original elliptical arch. West elevation tall blind openings under round arches. Former ballroom included for group value.

Cherry and Pevsner, London, 2: South, 1983, p.370 Survey of London, Vol XXVI, pt.II, 1956, p. 69.



Listing NGR: TQ3039977452

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
204629
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Cherry, B, Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: London 2: South, (1994), 370
'Survey of London' in The Parish of St Mary Lambeth Part 2 Southern Area: Volume 26, (1956), 69

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 28 Jun 2005
Reference: IOE01/14172/30
Rights: Copyright IoE Ms Beth Colocci. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].