B STATION AT ABBEY MILLS PUMPING STATION

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1357994

Date first listed: 25-Oct-1984

Date of most recent amendment: 19-Feb-2007

Statutory Address: B STATION AT ABBEY MILLS PUMPING STATION, ABBEY LANE E15

Map

Ordnance survey map of B STATION AT ABBEY MILLS PUMPING STATION
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1357994 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2018 at 18:04:07.

Location

Statutory Address: B STATION AT ABBEY MILLS PUMPING STATION, ABBEY LANE E15

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Newham (London Borough)

National Grid Reference: TQ 38740 83178

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details



251/7/14 ABBEY LANE E15 25-OCT-84 B Station at Abbey Mills Pumping Station (Formerly listed as: ABBEY LANE E15 Ancillary Pump House at Abbey Mills to south east of Pumping Station)

II Pumping Station. 1891-6, to designs prepared under Sir Maurice Fitzmaurice, engineer, following a report by Sir Benjamin Baker and Sir Alexander Binnie, engineers, for the London County Council. White stock brick with red and blue brick and stone dressings. Hipped slate roof with lantern at ridge. Three by two bay rectangular single-storey block, each bay gabled over blind arches within which there are triple narrow round-headed sash windows. Loosely Venetian Gothic in style, the arches having polychrome voussoirs, foliated stone impost bands and keystones to delicate wrought-iron finials. Stone coped gable parapets. Cast-iron rainwater heads and barley-sugar downpipes forming corner shafts. Internal pumping floor sunk deep below ground level. Early pumping machinery replaced. HISTORY: B Station was one of a number of works initiated in 1891 to enhance the capacity of Abbey Mills Pumping Station (q.v.), the northern cornerstone of Sir Joseph Bazalgette's enormous and heroic programme of works of the 1860s that gave London mains drainage. It was built to pump storm water from the Isle of Dogs branch sewer and, when necessary, to augment the pumping capacity of the main engine house. SOURCES: London County Council Minutes, 5 December 1899; National Monuments Record, Buildings Index File No. 92244.

The Pumping Station known as Building B, built 1891-6 at Abbey Mills, closely follows its predecessor in its architectural style, and is a significant part of this group of historic structures, reflecting early expansion of the complex to cope with London's growing population. It also has strong visual group value.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 204901

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing