THE CANONS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1358036
Date first listed:
07-May-1954
Statutory Address:
THE CANONS, MADEIRA ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE CANONS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1358036 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Sep-2019 at 03:51:45.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE CANONS, MADEIRA ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Merton (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 27865 68345

Details

LONDON BOROUGH OF MERTON MADEIRA ROAD, Mitcham TQ 2768 (north side) 12/93 The Canons 7.5.54 GV II*

Substantial manor house. Late C17. Brick with later stucco. Plain tile hipped roof to eaves. 2 storeys plus basement and dormers. West facade of 5 bays with 2-bay extension to left. Central bay to original block projects slightly with square headed architraved corniced entrance, reached by steps. Square headed windows, blind to 2 right bays. Sashes, flush frames, glazing bars. Modillion eaves cornice above first floor. 3-bay return to south. Other facades also of architectural interest. Interior retains staircase with strong twisted balusters, some panelling, etc. Built by John Odway, who was granted a building lease in 1680. London 2: South B Cherry and N Pevsner.

Listing NGR: TQ2786568345

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
205111
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Cherry, B, Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: London 2: South, (1994)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 19 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/02201/19
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Christopher Strevens. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].