THE BELGRAVE HOSPITAL FOR CHILDREN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1358241
Date first listed:
27-Mar-1981
Statutory Address:
THE BELGRAVE HOSPITAL FOR CHILDREN, CLAPHAM ROAD SW9

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE BELGRAVE HOSPITAL FOR CHILDREN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1358241 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Sep-2019 at 08:57:01.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE BELGRAVE HOSPITAL FOR CHILDREN, CLAPHAM ROAD SW9

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Lambeth (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 31122 77443

Details

In the entry for:-

CLAPHAM ROAD SW9 TQ 3177 (East Side) 8/1081 The Belgrave Hospital for Children The grade shall be upgraded to grade II*

------------------------------------

CLAPHAM ROAD SW9 1. (east side) 5023 The Belgrave Hospital TQ 3177 8/1081 for Children

II

2. 1903 by Charles Holden. Red brick in a castle style with Scottish touches: romantic but austere. Four storeys and basement. North front to Prima Road has a wide gabled central bay with a 3-storey canted projection having rebated angles and large stone mullioned and double transomed windows, echoing the C17. From these run balconies on many-corbelled brick brackets giving access to narrow, recessed staircase bays. The outer bays are slightly projecting square corner turrets. At left, one and 2-storey wings end in a more hospitable doorway with a stone hood on big brackets. The main west front deploys the same elements on a grander scale. The gable is partly stepped and the "turrets" battlemented. Tall, projecting 2-storey frontispiece has name of hospital in large period lettering. Round arched stone entrance under a shallow corbel table has gold mosaic dressings to inner and outer arches. Wrought iron area railings have hollow square piers with ball finials.

Listing NGR: TQ3112277443

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
204143
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 23 Jul 2001
Reference: IOE01/04360/30
Rights: Copyright IoE Les Kerry. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].