WATTS HALL (OLD MEETING CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH)

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1358444
Date first listed:
15-May-1978
Statutory Address:
WATTS HALL (OLD MEETING CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH), HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of WATTS HALL (OLD MEETING CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH)
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1358444 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-May-2019 at 20:18:06.

Location

Statutory Address:
WATTS HALL (OLD MEETING CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH), HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Hillingdon (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 05465 84367

Details

TQ 0584 SW 18/480

HIGH STREET UXBRIDGE Watts Hall (Old Meeting Congregational Church)

II Original chapel of 1716, the only substantial chapel built in Middlesex in the first half of the C18. Formally constituted as a Congregational polity in 1833. Schoolroom added in 1828. Major alterations begun in 1883 by John Sulman, architect, of Holborn. Chapel was lengthened, heightened and an entrance tower added at the High Street end.

Building of brick mostly rendered except to the southwest and tower, with slated roofs. Now four bays in length.

Northwest wall shows two original windows with a matching one inserted between in place of the original door. The northeast wall shows original brickwork up to the former eaves level; and the tops of two original windows remain as lunettes above the wall of the added vestry extension.

Old windows and the three tall ones in the southwest wall are all round-arched, except in the square tower with pyramidal roof.

Listing NGR: TQ0546584367

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
203042
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].