HILLCROFT COLLEGE INCLUDING FORMER STABLE BLOCK

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1358451
Date first listed:
06-Oct-1983
Statutory Address:
HILLCROFT COLLEGE INCLUDING FORMER STABLE BLOCK, SOUTH BANK

Map

Ordnance survey map of HILLCROFT COLLEGE INCLUDING FORMER STABLE BLOCK
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1358451.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 11-Nov-2019 at 22:49:24.

Location

Statutory Address:
HILLCROFT COLLEGE INCLUDING FORMER STABLE BLOCK, SOUTH BANK

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Kingston upon Thames (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 18293 67244

Details

TQ 1867 SW KINGSTON-UPON-THAMES SOUTH BANK Surbiton 11B/18 Hillcroft College including former stable block

II

1877 by Sir Rowland Plumbe. Large house and outbuildings. Red brick with some tile-hanging and plastered gables with incised decoration. Timber mullioned and transomed sash windows, some bayed. Elaborate porch of turned wood to west (main) facade. Painted arched doorway within. Tiled roofs with hips and gables and octagonal spirelet at the south west corner. Short return to south with a pair of two storey bay windows. Many tall, red brick, ribbed chimney stacks. Internally, original panelling, fireplaces and stained glass survives. Former stable block to South Bank Road with similar details. Modern extension between these and main building, and behind the latter, not of special interest. The Building News, May 18th, 1879 p.488.

Listing NGR: TQ1829367244

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
203179
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Building News' in 18 May, (1879), 488

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 23 Jun 2007
Reference: IOE01/16143/26
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Paul Woolterton. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].