CHURCH OF ST JOHN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1358494
Date first listed:
05-Jul-1950
Date of most recent amendment:
12-Mar-1973
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN, ST JOHN'S VALE SE8

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1358494 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2019 at 20:19:00.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN, ST JOHN'S VALE SE8

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Lewisham (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 37359 76249

Details

LEWISHAM

779/8/D1 ST JOHN'S VALE SE8 24-OCT-05 CHURCH OF ST JOHN

II Parish Church. 1854 by Philip Hardwick, with 1980s interior alterations. Snecked, random Kentish Rag with freestone dresssings. Decorated Gothic style. EXTERIOR: South-west tower of 3 stages with angled buttresses and stone broach spire, deep moulded door on clustered colonnettes to base. Tall nave with Decorated west window and lower aisle, combined altogether in a pleasing massing arrangement. Side elevations and the East end have similar Decorated tracery of quality. Single window inserted in north west wall in late-C20. INTERIOR: Nave of 4 bays with additional short bay to West, the western three bays enclosed at first floor level in the 1980s to provide an upstairs meeting room, this now lit by the West window in its entirety, and with the common rafter and collar roof structure exposed. High arcade on round piers, the eastern two bays remaining full height, and the other piers visible below the meeting room. High Chancel arch to Chancel of two bays. Gallery at West End that formerly held organ, now moved to North Chancel aisle, with Lady Chapel to South Chancel Aisle. Later galleries over North and South aisles. Decorated carved stone reredos. Original pews to nave, and Oak choir stalls. Metal stairs to north and south of west end, as well as late-C20 doors to lobby and store room at west end, where World War I memorial plaque. Stone winder stair in bell tower leads to small room, panelled with hand painted commemorative boards of the peals from 1875 through the 1920s. Monument of 1868 to Allan by M. Noble has angel with a cross. HISTORICAL NOTE: Church built with money donated by Miss Angela (later Baroness Burdett Coutts).

A fine early-Victorian Church by the important architect Philip Hardwick built with money from the notable philanthropist, Baroness Burdett Coutts. It survives well, except for late-C20 enclosure of the three western bays of the nave that has affected the internal space. Contributing to the special interest are the massing of West end with a prominent tower with broach spire, Decorated tracery with some fine Victorian glass, a delightful bell-tower room, and other internal fittings.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
203403
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 01 Jul 2007
Reference: IOE01/16370/13
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Stephen Richards. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].