CHURCH OF ST SAVIOUR AND STS JOHN BAPTIST AND EVANGELIST (ROMAN CATHOLIC)

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1358499

Date first listed: 12-Mar-1973

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST SAVIOUR AND STS JOHN BAPTIST AND EVANGELIST (ROMAN CATHOLIC), LEWISHAM HIGH STREET SE13

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST SAVIOUR AND STS JOHN BAPTIST AND EVANGELIST (ROMAN CATHOLIC)
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1358499 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 11-Dec-2018 at 10:58:49.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST SAVIOUR AND STS JOHN BAPTIST AND EVANGELIST (ROMAN CATHOLIC), LEWISHAM HIGH STREET SE13

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Lewisham (London Borough)

National Grid Reference: TQ 38289 75332

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 26/05/2016

TQ 3875 14/276

LEWISHAM HIGH STREET SE13 (East side) Church of St Saviour and Sts John Baptist and Evangelist (Roman Catholic)

II

2. 1909 by John Kelly. South aisle and integral presbytery added later. Red brick building in Italian style. 2-storey, 1-window front. Overhanging mutuled eaves forming open pediment. Niches, in centre and in wide side pilasters, hold figures of saints. Large round window beneath upper figure. 3 crosses in raised brick below this. Projecting ground floor has entrance with Ionic columns and open pediment. Mosaic in tympanum. Above this is inscribed JESUS GIVE THEM ETERNAL REST 1914 1918. 3 stone figures of crucifixion above pediment. The Calvary was erected as a war memorial and unveiled in 1919. Two stone plaques either side of the entrance list the names of the fallen men of the church. Flanking 2-light windows with baluster mullions. Inside an entrance lobby with arcaded screen. 5-bay nave with arcade on Tuscan columns. Apsidal East end with ambulatory. Barreled roof with round arches to clerestory windows. Richly lined in coloured marbles.

Listing NGR: TQ3828975332

This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 30 October 2017.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 203333

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Websites
War Memorials Register, accessed 30 October 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/12271

End of official listing