BARN TO NORTH EAST OF GREAT TOMKYNS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1358527
Date first listed:
07-Jan-1955
Date of most recent amendment:
14-Sep-1979
Statutory Address:
BARN TO NORTH EAST OF GREAT TOMKYNS, TOMKYNS LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of BARN TO NORTH EAST OF GREAT TOMKYNS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1358527 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2019 at 23:58:37.

Location

Statutory Address:
BARN TO NORTH EAST OF GREAT TOMKYNS, TOMKYNS LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Havering (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 56685 89611

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 11/12/2012

TQ 58 NE 13/2A 5017 7.1.55

TOMKYNS LANE (Formerly Bird Lane) Upminster Barn to north-east of Great Tomkyns

GV II*

Barn. Probably late C13 or C14, repaired and given porch in about 1727. Timber-frame, weatherboarded but with traces of original wattle and daub infil. Hipped thatch roof almost reaching ground level. Three bays, with aisles and single entrance opening into the east side of the central bay, in line with the arcade posts. Arcade posts with well-cut jowled heads and braces, passing braces to aisles and collar rafter roof. Walling with regularly spaced studs and mid rail. This barn is important as a very complete and well-documented example of a barn with a pattern of carpenters' marks which follow a circuit round the building instead of the more common method of numbering each cross frame. The barn displays a variety of unusual and archaic features, including through-splayed and tabled scarf joints, and a reversal in the position of the aisle wall plates relative to the aisle tie beams. Source: Vernacular Architecture, vol. 24, 1993



Listing NGR: TQ5668589611

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
201662
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
An Inventory of Essex South East, (1923), 161-162
'Vernacular Architecture' in Vernacular Architecture, , Vol. 24, (1993)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 27 Jul 2001
Reference: IOE01/04797/04
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Colin Carron. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].