PINNER HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1358615
Date first listed:
21-Sep-1951
Statutory Address:
PINNER HOUSE, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of PINNER HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1358615 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2019 at 23:19:56.

Location

Statutory Address:
PINNER HOUSE, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Harrow (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 12462 89598

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 11/12/2012

TQ 1289 NW 12/18 21.9.51

CHURCH LANE, PINNER (North-East Side) Pinner House

II*

Large house now old peoples' home. Probably Cl7, remodelled early-mid C18 (a brick reportedly dated 1721); C19 and C20 alterations. Front of red brick in Flemish bond with darker red brick dressings; returns and rear tile hung above late C20 brick plinth. Hipped plain tile roof with paired corniced brick stacks at centre. 3 storeys with cellar; 5 bays (3 at rear) x 3. South-west elevation: roll-moulded plinth. Central bay projects and has giant pilasters rising from 1st floor and supporting pediment. Central entrance: in projecting, corniced, brick panel; steps up to door of 6 raised and fielded panels; fanlight with decorative glazing bars; wooden architrave with fluted Ionic pilasters and dentilled open pediment. Sash windows: of 20 panes, unequally-hung, to ground and 1st floors with flat brick arches, the window over door with ogee-carved arch; shorter, of 16 panes, to 2nd floor; all with exposed sash boxes; brick aprons to 1st and 2nd floors. Segmental-arched cellar windows to 2 right-hand bays. Deep modillion eaves cornice which returns. Rear: tall central stair window. Right return: 2 left bays have a 2-storey canted bay with 12-panel sashes and cornice to ground floor, 20-pane sashes above. Mid-late C20 extensions to rear and to rear right. Interior: entrance lobby has floor of black and white stone; and entrance with columns supporting archivolt, all in pilastered and corniced surround. High quality early C18 open-string, dog-leg, stair rising to attic and having panelled dado, twisted column-on-vase balusters (2 per tread), wave-moulded tread ends, and moulded handrail with spiral curtails and columnar newels. Early C18 doors, cupboards and fireplaces throughout. Chamfered beams with pyramid and lambs tongue stops. Right-hand ground-floor room has early C18 panelling and eared fireplace architrave with elaborate frieze and cornice; room above also panelled. Left-hand ground-floor room has reset Cl7 panelling. In attic right-hand gable is preserved a pair of principal rafters from a former lower roof-line. A photo of c1924 shows that the returns were then rendered rather than tile-hung.



Listing NGR: TQ1246289598

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
202008
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 09 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/01190/06
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Julian Marsh. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].