CENTRAL ENTRANCE BLOCK TO BENTLEY PRIORY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1358638
Date first listed:
25-May-1983
Statutory Address:
CENTRAL ENTRANCE BLOCK TO BENTLEY PRIORY, THE COMMON

Map

Ordnance survey map of CENTRAL ENTRANCE BLOCK TO BENTLEY PRIORY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1358638 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2019 at 06:48:02.

Location

Statutory Address:
CENTRAL ENTRANCE BLOCK TO BENTLEY PRIORY, THE COMMON

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Harrow (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 15473 93279

Details

THE COMMON 1. 5016 Stanmore Central entrance block to Bentley Priory TQ 19 SE 2/5

II*

2. By Sir John Soane, 1789-90. Enlargement by Robert Smirke 1810-18. Entrance lobby, long drawing room and circular boudoir are probably the only parts by Soane in anything like their original condition. The external facades are quite changed by iron balconies and other C19 additions. Some fragments of older work remain. The house was, for the last year and a half of her life, the home of the Dowager Queen Adelaide, who died here in 1849. It was also the home of the Marquesses of Abercorn and Lord Aberdeen in C19. Gutted by fire 1979. Of historical interest as the headquarters of Fighter Command during the Battle of Britain and until 1968. (DRUETT, W W "Stanmore and Harrow Weald Through the Ages" 1938 pages 130 to 137; IREMONGER, Lucille "Lord Aberdeen" 1978 pages 25 and 26).

Listing NGR: TQ1547393279

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
202024
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Druett, W W, Stanmore and Harrow Weald Through the Ages, (1938), 130-7
Iremonger, L, Lord Aberdeen, (1978), 25-6

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].