OLD CATHEDRAL GRAMMAR SCHOOL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1358639

Date first listed: 14-Jul-1953

Date of most recent amendment: 01-Feb-1979

Statutory Address: OLD CATHEDRAL GRAMMAR SCHOOL, BROOK STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of OLD CATHEDRAL GRAMMAR SCHOOL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1358639 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2018 at 15:33:57.

Location

Statutory Address: OLD CATHEDRAL GRAMMAR SCHOOL, BROOK STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Wakefield (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 33326 21028

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SE 3321 4/20 14.7.53.

BROOK STREET(West Side) Old Cathedral Grammar School (formerly listed as Cathedral Boys' School)



GII* 1598 with late C19 and early C20 additions.Early part of one tall storey,six bays.five-light stone-mullioned and double-transomed windows except in south bay where a shorter window has a draped escutcheon carved belay with names of members of the Savill family.Tooled, Squared,coursed sandstone with some rebuilding to lower walls.Inscriptions badly worn.Interior shows a fine king-post roof with stout principals, king-posts braced to ridge-piece and two levels of through-purlins.Later north extension in similar style.South cross-wing dated 1895 has moulded Tudor arch, with leafy spandrels and label moulding to doorway.Historical interest as the original Queen Elizabeth Grammar School (now in Northgate, qv) AM.

Listing NGR: SE3332621028

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 441731

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing