CHURCH OF ST GEORGE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1358838
Date first listed:
02-Jan-1991
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST GEORGE, BARROW ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST GEORGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1358838 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2019 at 06:46:40.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST GEORGE, BARROW ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Croydon (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 31521 64115

Details

The following building shall be added:-

TQ 36 SW Barrow Road, Waddon

5/53 CHURCH OF ST GEORGE

II

Church and community centre. 1932, Architect W Curtis Green. Built of multicoloured brick in Flemish bond with Portland stone dressings and renewed tiled roofs. Wooden surrounds to windows. Plan is a Greek Cross with extensions to east and west arms. Bellcote at west end. West end of nave has tall lancet window and triangular capped pilasters each side. Projecting porticos with boarded doors and complicated ironmongery. Side elevations have transepts with tall lancets and 2 mullioned windows with iron casements. Vestry has further 2 windows and 3 plank doors. Internally the building is supported on arches reflecting 'crucks'. Boarded roof with 3 tiers of purlins. Nave has gallery at the back and part has been partitioned off in the late C20 to form a community centre. Interior fittings include oak organ case, octagonal oak pulpit, an unusual circular oak font on 3 columns of Clipsham stone and steel bowl and double doors with star decoration. The Lady Chapel has a 7-traceried window and painting by Cicely Mary Barker, the illustrator of the Flower Fairy books who taught at the Sunday School (See Architecture illustrated December 1932).

Listing NGR: TQ3152164115

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
201299
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Architecture Illustrated' in December, (1932)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 27 Oct 1999
Reference: IOE01/00317/17
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David Evans. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].