DRAPERS' HALL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1358902
Date first listed:
05-Jun-1972
Statutory Address:
29, AUSTIN FRIARS EC2
Statutory Address:
DRAPERS' HALL, 27 AND 28, THROGMORTON STREET EC2
Statutory Address:
DRAPERS' HALL, THROGMORTON AVENUE EC2

Map

Ordnance survey map of DRAPERS' HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1358902 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2019 at 05:45:59.

Location

Statutory Address:
29, AUSTIN FRIARS EC2
Statutory Address:
DRAPERS' HALL, 27 AND 28, THROGMORTON STREET EC2
Statutory Address:
DRAPERS' HALL, THROGMORTON AVENUE EC2

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
City and County of the City of London (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 32879 81295

Details

THROGMORTON STREET EC2 1. 5002 (North Side) Nos 27 and 28 (Drapers' Hall) TQ 3281 SE 10/288 5.6.72.

II* GV

2. Includes No 29 Austin Friars. Buildings of Hall C19 probably incorporating earlier fabric. Much of the work by Herbert Williams, 1866-70 (?) 3 separate frontage buildings. (1) At eastern end stone facade, 3 storeys with mansard. 2 bays, each with 3 windows. Granite ground floor with 2 segmental headed windows and flanking doors. 1st floor with segmental pediment to central window. 2nd floor windows round-headed with cornice carried by thin consoles. (2) Baroque stone facade, 2 major storeys, screens apsed end of Hall from street. 3 bays. Channelled ground floor. Main entrance under open pediment on consoles with angel masks. 1st floor, modified Composite pilasters between round-headed windows with bold open pediments on consoles, the central one being segmental. Entablature, Balustrade. (3) 3 main storeys, shops with offices above. 8 bays, asymmetrical, extending over Throgmorton Avenue. Ground floor with mezzanine of contrasting granite orders. Upper storeys of finely painted red brick with stone windows of varying forms including shallow bays. Entablature carrying pediments to each ba. 2 attic storeys over eastern part of facade. Archway over Throgmorton Avenue has an ornate 4 storey rear elevation with stone friezes. This building incorporates fine C17 style entrance doorway of carved Portland stone with 2 large male figures carrying full entablature with pulvinated frieze. Open pediment containing sculptured arms. Return elevation to Throgmorton Avenue includes red brick staircase wing, dated 1898 with stone windows and giant segmental pediment; stuccoed block with blank round-head recesses and modillion cornice with blocking course. Internal large mid C19 courtyard in distinguished classical style. Portland stone. Cloister now enclosed. Order of Ionic pilasters to upper floor with row of arched windows above to east and west. Crowning balustrade. Within is a magnificent suite of state rooms with rich plaster decoration etc. Very large hall with marble Corinthian columns on pedestals supporting balcony: compartmented ceiling with paintings by Herbert Draper (circa 1905-10) apsed south end. Staircase enriched with marble and alabaster. Stuccoed north range includes court dining room.

Listing NGR: TQ3288581299

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
199780
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 21 Aug 2000
Reference: IOE01/01623/33
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Jim Buckley. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].