CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1358943
Date first listed:
19-Oct-1951
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, DEPTFORD GREEN SE8

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1358943 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Sep-2019 at 09:49:46.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, DEPTFORD GREEN SE8

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Greenwich (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 37396 77745

Details



4412 DEPTFORD GREEN SE8

TQ 3777 25/G4 19.10.51 Church of St Nicholas

Grade II*(star)

Church. West tower of c.1500 on C13 foundation. Kentish ragstone with inserted flint panel. Three stages, with diagonal buttresses, stair turret, 3-light traceried belfry openings and parapet. Upper stage of tower rebuilt 1903-4 following gale damage by Robert Pearsall. Body of church rebuilt in 1697 by Charles Stanton, carpenter. Brown brick with gauged red brick window surrounds, Portland stone dressings, copper roof. Four bays, projecting transepts with scrolled pedimented gables in second bay from west; arched windows over rectangular lower openings; doors with segmental pediments containing cherubs' heads in tympana at south-west and north-west and north-east. Eastern extension and stair tower c.1910, by William Woodward, also of brown brick. Upper parts of wall rebuilt c.1910. Church extensively restored following bomb damage, 1955-58 by Thomas Ford. INTERIOR: central cruciform plan following truncation of the nave in 1950s. Tuscan arcades with straight entablature, shallow nave and transept vaults, groined vault over crossing. Iron tie-rods with ornamental overthrows above east and west arms of crossing of 1718. Interior of west tower with moulded arch. Present arrangement of parish rooms at east end created 1955-58 by Thomas Ford included the conversion of the chancel and eastern bay of nave. FITTINGS: Reredos of oak, 1697, removed from chancel and re-erected in present position in 1955-58; north and south doors of chancel installed to form continuous screen along east wall. Central section with segmental pediment containing painted glass oval of Adoration of the Shepherds, c.1791, signed by William Price. Decalogue flanked by painting of Moses and Aaron set within Corinthian capitals. Reclining oak figures of St John the Evangelist and a prophet. Organ case, 1697, by Father Smith, removed from west gallery to east wall. Relief carving of valley of dry bones, oak, 1697, formerly positioned above charnel house door, doubtfully attributed to Grinling Gibbons. Portrait of Queen Anne' by school of Kneller, within carved frame. Pulpit, c.1620, oak, with relief panels of arches set between fluted pilaster. Monuments surviving from wartime damage include Roger Boyle d. 1615. Fragmentary survival of tablets to family of John Evelyn. Royal Coat-of-Arms above tower arch, oak, 1697. HISTORICAL NOTE: The church was in existence by the 12th century. It has strong maritime connections owing to its proximity to Deptford dockyard and is the burial place of many mariners and shipwrights. The old church was dismantled, (bar the tower) and rebuilt in 1697: Isaac Loader's bequest is commemorated upon a cartouche. Structural repairs were required in 1716. The interior was redecorated in 1791, repewed in 1875, the tower repaired in 1903-4 and the east end and upper parts of the nave walls rebuilt in c.1910. Following severe bomb damage the church was extensively altered and restored by Thomas F. Ford and partners, and reopened in February 1958.



Listing NGR: TQ3739677744

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
200321
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 02 Apr 2005
Reference: IOE01/13464/15
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Adam Watson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].