Church of St Matthew

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1359020
Date first listed:
03-Jun-1992
Statutory Address:
Church of St Matthew, St Mary's Road

Map

Ordnance survey map of Church of St Matthew
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1359020 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2019 at 07:54:55.

Location

Statutory Address:
Church of St Matthew, St Mary's Road

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Brent (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 21534 83990

Details

TQ 2183 935-/12/10000 Willesden ST MARY'S ROAD Church of St Matthew

II Church. Designed 1898 by W.D Caröe; built 1900-06. Red brick with some stone dressings; tiled, pitched roof. Free Perpendicular style with Art Nouveau and Arts and Crafts influence.

Four bay aisled nave with clerestory, narthex, small transepts; south aisle Lady Chapel, north aisle vestries; three bay chancel. North eastern bellcote. West facade with projecting two storey outer bays having entrances, deeply recessed first floor two-light windows, the recesses with cambered arch heads, splayed reveals and battered brick aprons; stone coped parapets and gables with shingled spirelets. Central bay single storey with penthouse roof and entrances flanking a three-light window; six-light eastern window set within a shallow, slightly pointed recess with three brick mullions. Large five-light clerestory windows set in similar arches which fade to sides of similarly profiled flanking buttresses extending to tiled gabled parapets over penthouse aisle roofs and into blind gables on the nave roof. Eastern window, seven lights set in slightly pointed arched recess with two brick mullions.

Interior of contrasting render and exposed brick. Polished red tile floor. Slightly pointed waggon roof. Western gallery. Nave arcading of shallow wide arches and oak panelled pillars, arches respond on aisle walls; narrow passage aisles with transverse arches and small windows of richly coloured stained glass.

Many fitments and fittings by Caröe including the carved stone font (1901), carved and lettered stone pulpit (1906), Lady Chapel and chancel, carved and polished wood altar fronts (latter painted at a later date) and probably the chancel gates being a First World War memorial. Organ designed by Noel Bonavia-Hunt, assistant priest from 1905-12. Two stained glass memorial windows at west end dated 1920.

Listing NGR: TQ2153483990

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
198801
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 17 Jun 2007
Reference: IOE01/16441/18
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Jason Wen. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].